This rice is truly unique because of it's sweet flavor, chewy texture and appealing aroma. Unlike American rices, this rice is sticky so that chopsticks can be used with ease. The Japanese are as fastidious in their judging of rice as the French are with wine. The aroma, the smoothness to the tongue, the taste and texture of the rice are judged with great care.
In Japan, rice has been traditionally valued for centuries. Perfected in Japan for over 2000 years, this special short grain variety (now grown in America) has an appetizing aroma, sweet flavor, and sticky texture, making it the worlds best rice for sushi. Sushi is easy to prepare, has unique/versatile flavors and has nutritional low-cal benefits.
1 cup uncooked Sushi rice
1 1/2 cups water
Thoroughly rinse 1 cup Sushi rice in cool water, drain well. Repeat process.
Place 1 cup rinsed rice in heavy 2 quart saucepan. Add 1 1/4 cups cold water. Heat on high until boiling.
Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Do not lift lid during cooking.
Remove pan from heat and let stand covered for 10 minutes.
If using to make sushi, after 10 minutes rest period put rice in nonmetallic bowl; stir in:2 tablespoons sushi or rice vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon seasoned rice wine vinegar.
Mix well and continue with your favorite sushi recipe.
Cooking methods for plain rice
1. Bring 1 cup rice (200g) and 1 1/2 cups water (375ml) to boil, stirring occasionally.
2. Lower heat, cover, and simmer 12-14 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5-10 minutes.
Optimal Stove-top method
1. Bring 1 cup rice (200g) and 6-8 cups water to boil, stirring occasionally.
2. REDUCE HEAT AND BOIL GENTLY, uncovered, 12-14 minutes.
3. Drain well and serve.
1. Rinse sushi rice prior to cooking to ensure rice remains clingy after cooking.
2. For optimal results, soak the rice for 30 minutes before cooking to allow the grains to softenand absorb the water.
3. For optimal consistency in results, we recommend the use of an electric rice cooker.
Servings per 750g pack (uncooked): approx. 7.5
Serving size: 100g (uncooked) per 100g
Energy 1460kJ 349Cal
Carbohydrate - total 78.5g
Carbohydrate - sugars 0.1g
Dietary Fibre 0.7g